American Christian’s Ignorance of Christ

Christ Teaching - Blessed Are The PeacemakersOne of my favorite quotes I’ve ever heard came from that lover of peace and brotherhood, Gandhi, when he was asked what he thought about Christianity.  His simple reply was, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

One of the two questions I always try to ask anyone that proclaims “I’m a Christian” are

1) I thought one tried to live a life that followed Christ’s teachings so shouldn’t that statement be “I follow what Christ taught” since there are hundreds and hundreds of self-described “Christian” religions that teach completely different things, many of which teach things in complete opposition to Christ’s words and

2) Do you really follow what Christ taught or do you distract yourself from that path by trying to justify his teachings of love and brotherhood with the lessons of hate and exclusion taught in books like Leviticus?

Those who know me and who have followed what I’ve written know that I have a lot of questions about the existence of a “god” and what form such a being might take.  I can see that the universe might exist simply because it does and I am here to state that because it does exist.  I can also sometimes believe that some form of ultimate being began what we call this universe and all the possible universes and dimensions that we cannot see and may never know, with certainty, exist except in mathematical formulas that depend on those unknowable (so far) dimensions and universes to exist in order to explain what we DO see as existing.

Understand?  I don’t either.  My brain flies in circles wondering which of those two possibilities are reality but, in my heart, the one certainty I have is that our tiny brains are undoubtedly completely unable to understand the magnitude or complexity of any god or even begin to explain its existence in the meager words we have at out disposal.

What I do know beyond any doubt is that any god worthy of my worship will only expect its creations to treat one another with absolute reverence and kindness, precisely how we would treat that god if it were to suddenly appear among us in physical form.  So, if Jesus was, as Christians believe, the son of god, how did the vast majority of people treat him when he walked among us and who, exactly, were the direct cause of his murder?  We only have to remember that he walked among the lepers and children and poor and sick and workers and prostitutes and helpless and commanded the wealthy to sell everything they had and help the poor if they ever wished to enter into the heaven that they believed in.  So who murdered him?  Who demanded that Christ be crucified?  The wealthy, the Pharisees, the Republicans and Conservatives of that time.

So why don’t Christians see that and simply ignore anyone that tells them anything differently?  Why don’t Christians simply seek out the words and teachings of the man they proclaim to be god’s son on earth?

In the beginning of America’s long history one man stood head and shoulders above his contemporaries in intelligence and his understanding of the world around him (and remains vastly more intelligent than any man or woman in public life today).  That man was Thomas Jefferson.  According to Wikipedia:

Thomas Jefferson (April 13, 1743 – July 4, 1826) was the principal author of the Declaration of Independence (1776) and the third President of the United States (1801–1809). He was an influential Founding Father, and an exponent of Jeffersonian democracy. Jefferson envisioned America as a great “Empire of Liberty” that would promote republicanism.[1]

Just as an aside, I HIGHLY recommend that you visit the above link to “republicanism” cited above.  Does anything there even faintly resemble anything that the so-called “Republicans” behave like or legislate when in power?

Getting back to Jefferson, in 1804 he decided that the bible was mostly a book of verbal history and fairy tales and laws meant to keep Bronze Age goat herders in line with the powerful elite’s wishes.  He read the bible and saw that what Christ taught was seldom, if ever, what was being taught in the churches by the preachers who lived off the tithing of the sheep in the pews.  He saw that what Christ actually taught was a very tiny part of that entire book and, in fact, contradicted most of what was being taught from the pulpits.

So, Jefferson got to work and decided to study the gospels, as they are called, to see if he could discern exactly what Christ taught without the distractions of the rest of that ancient text.  He wanted those teachings to be immediately available to everyone who wanted to truly follow Jesus’ way and to be as easily understood as possible.  The result of the effort has come to be known as “Jefferson’s Bible” and should, in my humble opinion, be the only book that anyone who wants to honestly call themselves a Christian would ever need.  He took everything that related to Christ from the four main gospel books; Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  From those found sources came “The Jefferson Bible”.  His bible begins with the birth of Christ and ends with his crucifixion.  Everything before and after is removed as unnecessary.

Personally, I love what Jesus taught (as I love what Buddha taught and the early Muhammad and Gandhi and all of the teachers of love and understanding and kindness) but have little use for the way that his life has been twisted by people with alternate and greedy motives over the centuries.  I believe that Jesus was a magnificent teacher who spoke of the peaceful, loving manner in which we should all live and the brotherhood towards one another that we should all practice.  If we simply followed those teachings in our everyday lives and demanded that our government officials also follow those simple lessons (sans the silly crosses and bibles that they thump as they take the money from the wealthy) then America could and would become the greatest nation that the world has ever known and the one that our Founders truly envisioned.  You and I would be truly represented and only legislation that benefited human beings would be even considered.

Jefferson saw basically the same thing.  If the majority of people were going to regard themselves as “Christians” then what, exactly, did Jesus teach them and COMMAND them to do every moment of their lives.  The teachings are simple, of course, in that he demanded that the most defenseless among us be treated as we would treat him personally and that wealth was an evil to be avoided unless it was used to benefit all.  Matter of fact, most everything Christ demanded of his followers was stated very, very clearly in his Sermon on the Mount.  Pretty simple, huh?

Jefferson’s simple book contains just 69 chapters, each a moment from Christ’s life that was either a direct teaching or a parable that contains the wisdom that Christ wished his followers to think about and learn from. The book he created is simple enough for anyone that can ready English to understand and, during the next few years, he also created copies that contained the verses in Latin, Greek and French. Translating these simple words into any language would be a fairly simple exercise for anyone that understood one of the four languages Jefferson used.

If you would like a copy of his book, and I highly recommend one regardless of your religion since the teachings apply to us all, I bought my latest copy from Amazon and you can also just download it to a Kindle and most any reader out there.

If we, as a people, followed these simple teachings then 99% of the misery and violence and hate would disappear.  Any teaching that resulted in that is a teaching worth looking into, even for an old agnostic/atheist like myself.  If I can read what Jefferson found so important and learn from it then, obviously, so can you.

Peace

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to American Christian’s Ignorance of Christ

1. Pete says:

hello dear , I m looking forward desperately for the next post of yours..Good work…unique site and interesting too… keep it up…looking forward for more updates.

2. ghdflghkdfs says:

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me. Thanks a lot!

3. regim hotelier bucuresti says:

Good – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task.

4. Homepage says:

As I internet site owner I believe the articles here is genuinely amazing , thankyou for your efforts. 9115

5. autocuisseur says:

Hey, affecting perfect !

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of evaluation on this. And he actually purchased me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If doable, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra particulars? It is highly helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog post!

6. Thanks for an unbelievable post, would study one’s others posts. thanks for your thinking for this, I experienced somewhat strike by this text. Thanks again! You earn a great moment. Has great report here. I think that when more individuals thought of it like that, they’d possess a better time obtain the hold ofing the difficulty.

7. Bo Dudney says:

My spouse and i have been now more than happy John managed to round up his homework via the ideas he obtained while using the weblog. It’s not at all simplistic to just always be giving freely helpful tips that many people today might have been selling. So we recognize we now have the blog owner to thank for this. Those explanations you’ve made, the straightforward blog menu, the relationships you will assist to instill – it is mostly great, and it’s really facilitating our son in addition to the family imagine that that subject is entertaining, and that’s incredibly pressing. Thank you for all the pieces!

8. Christian says:

I like Your Article about American Christian's Ignorance of Christ – Another Perspective Perfect just what I was searching for! .

9. rope apk says:

I like Your Article about American Christian’s Ignorance of Christ – Another PerspectiveAnother Perspective Perfect just what I was searching for! .

10. Yes this is definitely what i need. Shirts for Buddhists are a must have.

11. Soma says:

http://www.printfection.com/ohcwap – You must take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will advocate this website! Progressive Books REALLY ROCKED! http://wp.anotherperspective.org/2011/08/29/progressive-gifts/

12. Hey there, excellent image, thank you for sharing! Check out the great shirts for Buddhists at http://www.printfection.com/buddhasgift

13. Cosmet says:

informative web site. Thanks.

14. lifins says:

Thanks for that awesome posting. It saved MUCH time 🙂

• Miyabi says:

Christmas is a collection of pagan feaitvsls that the church tried to hijack and failed!! They therefore celebrate a pagan festival and surely if Jesus existed he would be repelled by that!!But what of Jesus himself?There is not one single mention of Jesus in the entire Roman record that is right not one!!! At the same time as he was supposed to have been around there were a number of Jews claiming to be the messiah all of whom are well recorded!!He was supposed to have been a huge problem to the Romans and produced wonderful miracles but still not one contemporary record?Even the bible mentions of him like all other references were not written until many years after his supposed death!!At best he was an amalgam of those others!!

15. benzo-fury says:

Our stuff in in the Buddhist laboratory we own are
    in fact the inventors of many of the stuff that we offer.

16. google says:

I liked your article is an interesting Buddha article.
    thanks to google I found you

17. jiggly puff says:

i love your blog, i have it in my rss reader and always like new things coming up from it.

18. Pingback: Good links for good articles. « johndcannon

19. Pingback: AnotherPerspective.org Blog To Read « johndcannon

20. Pingback: Perfect Path? - Another PerspectiveAnother Perspective

21. fat says:

Hi. Neat article. There’s a problem with your site in internet explorer, and you may want to check this… The browser is the marketplace chief and a big element of other people will pass over your magnificent writing due to this problem.

• Nadia says:

The thing that makes this holiday so wouderfnl is the warmth of good spirits. The problem is that we should all be this way, all the time. Why wait for christmas to spread good cheer, in a world that is so close to destroying itself. Instead of tripping over each other to look like the better man, why don’t we treat each other as the better man? The christmas season has been entrenched with myth and legend and pagan practices to numerous of which to mention. One could, and probably have written a book on it. The christmas tree story itself is a ritual. St. Nick was a real man whose generosity and magnanimity won him a spot as Santa; but I think that if he were alive he would be appalled at what this world has done with him. I don’t think Jesus hates this holiday, but it defeats the purpose to which he has called us. We need to be willing to have this christmas spirit all year long. Gods will on earth is what we should be concerned with, not a mad rush for gifts and celebration.

22. Sherry Burrows says:

I agree that it doesn’t so much matter whether Jesus actually existed or not. His teachings, or what is purported to be his teachings, are a Truth that is found in the teachings of Buddha, or Baha’ullah, or the more comtemporary Ghandi and the Dalai Lama, as well as the writings of some of the “new age” writings like A Course in Miracles. I find it interesting that most of the rabid right-wing “christian leaders” out there demonize the teachings of others whose lessons are identical to those attributed to Jesus. Truth is recognizable, no matter where it comes from, and really, virtually all religious teachings come down to the Golden Rule of Do to others what you would have done to yourself. Most of the “religious right” of the stamp like Focus on the Family, James Hagee, and the conservative politicians and pundits who preach hatred and bigotry in the name of god seem to follow a different Golden Rule: Those who have the gold make the rules.

• John Cannon says:

The great teachers taught the same thing. It is ALWAYS the followers that twist and warp those perfect teachings to make it appear that god wants us to be wealthy and selfish and violent. They worship things I abhor.

23. Mario says:

Jesus is a non-entity. There is no proof that he ever existed.

The effects of early childhood indoctrination are truly amazing! Most people quickly dismiss the unsupported childish ideas like the toothfairy, Santa Claus, the many pagan gods but somehow, you believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, manages to slip past your nonsense radar.

• John Cannon says:

Mario,
      Most of what you talk about aren’t in the book I wrote about. Please, read that book before you attack. I don’t care if there was actually a Jesus or not, the teachings that Jefferson extracted are exactly the points that need to be thought of. Learn the lessons from that book and then we can debate whether or not anyone named Jesus of Nazareth even existed or if the teachings are what is important.

• shawn says:

I agree with John, here. I think you missed the point, Mario. Jefferson specifically edited this book to present the moral teachings of Jesus/Yeshua/whatever without much of the far fetched stories that come along with the Bible.

• John Cannon says:

Precisely. Jefferson took the myth, magic and miracles away and left only the teachings and kindness of Jesus, whether he existed or he was just a grand desire of a few good souls put into the mouth of one they created in hopes of being heard. His teachings are simple. The bible is silly and a little historical. I try to understand and live by the teachings of the being or creation they named Jesus without worrying about did he exist or not. That is irrelevant.